Banbury man admits ‘nasty and cowardly’ attack on partner

19

An abusive partner with previous for hitting his ex admitted another assault on the woman.

Grant Stephen, 28, was due to stand trial at Oxford Crown Court on Tuesday accused of causing his former partner actual bodily harm.

But on the morning the trial was due to begin, he pleaded guilty on a basis to a single charge of ABH.

READ MORE: Charge dropped against former HMP Bullingdon inmate accused of assaulting gaoler

Judge Michael Gledhill QC said it was ‘with some reluctance’ he would adjourn the sentence for the preparation of pre-sentence reports.

“This is a nasty, cowardly attack on the mother of your child and you’ve done it before. You not only have one previous conviction appearance butt there are three ABHs on that appearance,” he told Stephen.

“Ms Austin is quite right to concede a custodial sentence is inevitable. The only question is whether that can be suspended or not.”

Earlier, Stephen’s barrister Gordana Austin said her client worked as a mechanic for a company dealing with top-brand cars like Jaguars.

He had not had contact with his partner or their child since the assault was committed on January 24 last year.

READ MORE: Scales of Justice: Latest cases in Oxford Magistrates’ Court

Stephen, of Balmoral Avenue, Banbury, was bailed to return to court on July 11 for sentence, by which time the probation service will have compiled pre-sentence reports on him.

Rose Slowe appeared for the Crown Prosecution Service.

Read more from this author

This story was written by Tom Seaward. He joined the team in 2021 as Oxfordshire’s court and crime reporter.  

To get in touch with him email: Tom.Seaward@newsquest.co.uk

Follow him on Twitter: @t_seaward