Firefighters tackle blaze at Brize Norton pub The Chequers

4

FIREFIGTHERS rushed to a blaze in the rear of a pub in Brize Norton, after a tumble dryer caught fire.

Yesterday morning (August 5), firefighters from Bampton, Witney, Rewley Road and Burford fire were called to a fire inside a store room at the The Chequers Inn, in Station Road.

The fire caused extensive damage but was contained as the door of the store room remained closed.

A spokesperson from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Upon arrival crews were faced with smoke issuing from the door, with a developed fire within a tumble dryer spreading to other appliances.

READ MORE: Abingdon Road in Oxford cordoned off by police following incident

“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the flames and cleared the remaining smoke using a high powered positive pressure fan.

“Whether you are a business or a domestic property ensure you keep doors closed at night, you have working smoke detection in your property and you know what to do in the event of a fire.”

The pub remained closed yesterday and reopened as normal today.

For more information on fire safety visit: https://www.365alive.co.uk/cms/content/home-safety

Read more from this author

This story was written by Anna Colivicchi, she joined the team this year and covers health stories for the Oxfordshire papers. 

Get in touch with her by emailing: Anna.colivicchi@newsquest.co.uk

Follow her on Twitter @AnnaColivicchi